play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • play_arrow

    North Derbyshire Radio

Local News

Have a safe & happy Halloween say Derbyshire Fire Service.

todayOctober 25, 2021 8

Background
share close

Halloween takes place this week and as the day draws nearer, Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service is once again reminding parents of the dangers associated with flammable fancy dress costumes and the additional risks presented by an increased use of candles and decorations during Halloween celebrations.

Station Manager Ian Snodgrass said: “I’m sure many children will have already chosen their spooky costumes, but I’d like to ask parents to exercise caution when buying fancy dress and to check the labelling to ensure they comply with fire safety regulations.

“I’d advise that children wearing costumes are kept well away from any naked flames, whether from a tea light in a pumpkin, or a gas, electric or open fire. I would also recommend using electric tea lights as a safe alternative to traditional tea lights to minimise the risk of fire.

“If the worse does happen and clothing does catch fire, STOP, DROP and ROLL should be adopted to smother and put out the flames.”

In 2014 TV presenter Claudia Winkleman experienced every parent’s nightmare when a fun evening of Halloween games turned into a terrifying situation. Claudia’s eight-year-old daughter Matilda brushed past a carved pumpkin, lit by a tea light, and in a matter of seconds her Halloween costume had gone up in flames.

With Halloween events and pumpkin carving becoming more popular each year and additional candles being used to add drama to spooky settings, the Service would like to ask people to follow some simple safety precautions:

  • Keep children/fancy dress costumes away from naked flames – tea lights in pumpkins, electric, gas and open fires. Long hair and clothing, especially fancy-dress costumes are very flammable.
  • Use electric tea lights/candles as a safe alternative to traditional tea lights/candles.
  • Do not leave tea lights/candles unattended.
  • Keep candles and tea lights out of reach of children and animals. Children should be supervised at all times near flames.
  • Keep tea lights/candles a safe distance from curtains, furniture and decorations at all times.

Written by: NDR NEWS

Rate it

Previous post

Local News

New store for Chesterfield pet specialists.

A chesterfield retailer known for supplying a range of products for our pets has announced further growth by moving to a new premises at Littlemoor in Newbold. Quinney’s Pet Supplies was established in October 2016 inside Chesterfield Market Hall with the aim of supplying a range of products for dogs, cats, small animals, reptiles, fish, cagebirds, wild birds and wildlife. These include food, treats, toys and accessories as well as a range of greeting cards produced by Michelle Quinney featuring her stunning […]

todayOctober 25, 2021


0%