skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
  • play_arrow

    North Derbyshire Radio

World News

Alarm after English Channel ferry fire

todayMarch 3, 2023

share close

Alarm after English Channel ferry fire

Three lifeboats from Kent and a French tug were deployed in the Channel on Friday evening after a fire started on a ferry with nearly 200 people on board.

HM Coastguard has said it was alerted to a blaze in the engine room of the Isle of Innisfree just after 5.30pm.

Irish Ferries, the boat’s operator, said there were 94 passengers and 89 crew members on board, who are all “safe and accounted for”.

The boat was midway through its journey from Dover to Calais when the fire began, and it has since been extinguished.

A HM Coastguard spokesperson said: “All passengers and crew are accounted for and no injuries have been reported.

“RNLI Lifeboats from Dungeness, Dover and Ramsgate were sent along with a French tug to stand by the vessel.

“The three RNLI lifeboats have been stood down and the French Coast Guard is now coordinating the incident.”

Irish Ferries said the lifeboats were despatched as a “precautionary measure” and the Isle of Innisfree is now “safely at anchor”.

“As the situation is stable, no emergency assistance is expected to be required,” a spokesperson said.

The operator later added that once the boat arrives in Calais, it will launch a “full investigation into the incident in conjunction with the relevant authorities”.

“In the meantime, the Isle of Innisfree’s imminent sailings have been cancelled, and affected customers are being contacted with alternative travel arrangements,” it said.

“Irish Ferries would like to sincerely apologise to all passengers affected by this evening’s incident, and the disruption to their onward journeys.”

Published: 03/03/2023 by Radio NewsHub

Written by: NDR NEWS

Rate it

Previous post

Local Sport

Mansfield Town Ladies 2 -2 Chesterfield Ladies

Chesterfield Ladies battled back from 2-0 down to draw an entertaining derby game at Mansfield Town Ladies 2-2. Mike Noon's side were 2-0 down at the break and they needed a response after a very rare poor first half performance. Sophie Marshall got their first goal in the 53rd minute and she finished well from close range after great work in the build up from Georgina Williams on the right […]

todayMarch 3, 2023 14