Police have said there have been a “number of fatalities” in a “serious firearms incident” in Plymouth.
Several other casualties are receiving treatment following the incident in Biddick Drive in the Keyham area of the city, Devon and Cornwall Police said.
The force said a critical incident had been declared, the area cordoned off, and it believes the situation is “contained”.
Local MP Johnny Mercer tweeted that the incident is “not terror related”.
Devon and Cornwall Police said: “Police were called to a serious firearms incident in Biddick Drive, in the Keyham area of Plymouth at around 6.10pm today … Officers and ambulance staff attended.
“There have been a number of fatalities at the scene and several other casualties are receiving treatment.
“A critical incident has been declared.
“The area has been cordoned off and police believe the situation is contained. Road closures are in place so please avoid the area.
“We are appealing to the public not to speculate or share pictures of the scene on social media or anywhere else.”
Mr Mercer, MP for Plymouth Moor View, tweeted: “The incident is not terror related, and neither is the suspect on the run in Plymouth.
“Remain calm. It is for the police to confirm further details. Do not repost chatter or gossip; work with them. We have the best cops in the land.”
In an earlier tweet, Mr Mercer said he was “aware of a serious and tragic incident unfolding in Plymouth”.
He added: “Please obey all instructions from the police and do not post rumour or speculation on social media.”
The South Western Ambulance Service said it was called at just after 6pm on Thursday to Keyham.
The ambulance service tweeted: “We responded to the incident with a significant number of resources, including Hazardous Area Response Teams (HART), multiple ambulances, air ambulances, multiple doctors and senior paramedics.
“We will provide an update here in due course.”
Luke Pollard, MP for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport, said the situation looked like “a very grim day for our city and our community”.
Mr Pollard tweeted: “Really worrying news coming out of Keyham”, adding: “Please can everyone stay safe, stay indoors and follow police advice.”
In a second tweet, he said: “Update: awaiting confirmation of number of victims but this looks like a very grim day for our city and our community.
“Please can I ask that you think of the families and our community and not share any images or videos of any of the victims.”
Home Secretary Priti Patel tweeted: “The incident in Plymouth is shocking and my thoughts are with those affected. I have spoken to the Chief Constable and offered my full support. I urge everyone to remain calm, follow police advice and allow our emergency services to get on with their jobs.”
Published: by Radio NewsHub